Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Dugan Carter, the sound of a lion

When I was young, and I was studying the saxophone with my Godfather, he would regale me with stories about jazz's past life, the Coleman Hawkins days, and Charlie Parker days and so on. He explained how the saxophone was the instrument that was closest to the human voice, and therefore just as you would wish to be understood when you speak, your sax should do the same thing. He further explained that "I don't care what anyone tells you, tone is EVERYTHING."
It wasn't until I met Dugan Carter that I completely understood what he meant.
Here is a story about a man whom I consider to be one of the greatest saxophone players that I've ever known...
I even remember the day that I made this discovery, it was Saturday June 2nd, 1974. The place was the Gentleman's Club, Charleston WV, the joint was packed and the mood was right for a life changing experience.
Although I played the sax for many years, I realized that I was only playing at it, because that night I heard Dugan take one of the most amazing solos that I had ever heard at that time, the song was "Midnight Soul Patrol,"by the great Quincy Jones (just in case you want to pick it up, the album is entitled "I Heard That").
Dugan was a part of the incredible horn section that was and luckily still is Stratus. This band was just unbelievable, they had the look, the sound and the goods to be the next Earth Wind and Fire easily, but Dugan had a sound that far surpassed everyone. I could literally sit and listen to him entonate for hours on end.
What happened to me was that I realized how the sound of a saxophone was truly generated, where it's center was, and how it was manipulated.
Dugan can make a saxophone swell with sound, if you don't understand what I mean, listen to the sound of train whistle, it's sheer power. That's seriously hard for a saxophone, but Dugan can do it.
For years when I listened to other horn players, I knew that they were good mostly, but I never truly understood why until that night. It's that really good horn players create a sound that is so good that it's just like speaking, but even though there are no words spoken you still understand them perfectly, and that's what Dugan does for me, he speaks with perfection.
I've known Dugan since 1971, and we've been great friends, but after that night at least in my mind he was elevated to "lion" status. In other words, he has a sound that definetely makes you pay attention...and I hope that if you enjoy music even a tiny bit, you do.
Dugan Carter has the sound of lion, and it's a sound that you'll be glad you heard forever.

Catch Dugan Carter locally with Stratus and with Full Flavor featuring Michael "Stoney" Burks on trumpet and David Loyd on keyboards. Click here for info on when they play at the Empty Glass

Support Live music today tomorrow and always

3 Comments:

Blogger Warhen said...

Charlie, I'm a sax and flute guy from Buckhannon. I enjoyed your blog. I'm looking to start playing with folks again after a long break. I've begun meeting other musicians in the mountain state. I'd like to get together and play with like-minded folks, and see what opportunities there might be for me to express myself and contribute again. Would you please drop me a line if you see this? Thanks! BTW, I was born in the Bronx too!

12:59 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

marc jacobs, ugg pas cher, ugg, louis vuitton, pandora charms, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, canada goose, swarovski, toms shoes, canada goose uk, moncler uk, thomas sabo, ugg uk, replica watches, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, hollister, canada goose outlet, supra shoes, canada goose, wedding dresses, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, links of london, canada goose, karen millen uk, montre pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, coach outlet, moncler outlet, moncler, moncler, pandora uk

9:22 PM  
Blogger dalia alaa said...

http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/tanks-isolation-companies-3.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/tanks-isolation-companies-2.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/tanks-isolation-companies.html

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home