Sunday, June 26, 2005

Spurgie Hankins, I'm really sure

A line from one his songs instructs us to "only believe in half of what you see, and none of what you hear," I say, all of that may be true but as you read on, the one thing that you'll realize about Spurgie Hankins is, that with music this honest he's got alot of playing yet to do.

Spurgie Hankins is truly that one of a kind musician, a combination of powerful lyrics, the most ethereal melodies, and heart pounding rhythms. He is the West Virginia version of Maurice White (of Earth Wind and Fire). His music is as deep as the ocean and just as beautiful.

I've known Spurgie dating back to 1972, I've listened to the roots of his music in earnest since before then. By that, I mean that as you listen to the entire package which is Spurgie you'll find that his music stems from a biblical sense of being. A sense that is rooted in dealing with the pain and pleasures of life.
He can make you feel the deep pain of love gone bad, and the simple honest joy of loving your children without abandon.
I spent 2 years playing saxophone with Spurgie's band and during that time the love and respect that I garnered for that man transcends time...his music just moves me that way.
As one of West Virginia's hidden treasures I want to turn the spotlight on a man who like the other great West Virginian, Bill Withers gives voice to everyman.
Spurgie Hankins is writer without peer in my opinion, with the possible exception of Todd Burge, Spurgie's lyrics talk not only about living in the Mountain state, but also about living in life, and in this country and the unexpected trials that go along with it, and the things that we can do to change those things that are bad to things for the better. His music will engage you to trust and have faith, and if you close your eyes for just a minute, you can actually see the world as he paints it.
One of the joys in my life were the years that I spent playing in that band and getting to hear, and see first hand every week Spurgie use his music to heal and empower us.
The first year that I was in the band, we had a regular Saturday gig at Bentley's here in Charleston, a Thursday and Sunday gig at JT's Corner in Dunbar WV, and not one day of rehearsal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking that, because it taught me something about listening closely. Spurgie would bring his songs to the gigs and those gigs were the rehearsal, but it was great because, every time we played them, we did something just a little different than before, and that kept it fresh and new.
A solid family man, who can throw a mean horseshoe, and can play a rhythm guitar to death, Spurgie and his beautiful wife Marti have a family that is reflected in his music...strong and beautiful. This may sound corny, but when Spurgie performs, oftentimes his children come to the shows and get just as dreamy eyed as some of the fans who Spurgie thrills with his music.
I can think back on times when we sent an entire nightclub into a frenzied dance, like the Whirling Dervishes of Sufi Islam, people would just lose their ego-centered selves and submit to the magnetism and light of his music.
One slightly crazy but beautiful thing about Spurgie's music is that people so identify with it that when I first starting sitting in with the band they would come to the stage and almost threaten me if I didn't play something right, or if they didn't think that the sax part or flute part fit with a particular song...they take their Spurgie love that seriously.
I have the honor to call him one of my truest friends, he is a person who always is encouraging and always real.
One of the nicest things that he ever did for me was to hire my good friend Kevin Kidd as his bassist. It was just a hunch on my part, but I really felt like they would be a good fit, and I think that I was right; but it took Spurgie to make it click.
Over the last few years I've been slightly saddened because I haven't been able to get time to come and play with them for awhile now, and I miss it. The great thing about it though is that Spurgie always welcomes me with open arms.
There are quite a few people in Charleston whose songs I know by heart; lock stock and barrell, and his is among that group.
I'm inspired by the love that eminates from his music, I'm empowered by the beauty of his melodies, and I'm enthralled by the spirit of his friendship.
Spurgie Hankins is a survivor, whose music "sounds like Africa, it sounds like Spain, it sounds like India, it sounds like rain, it sounds like thunder, it sounds like pain, it sounds like everything...I just can't explain the sound."
One thing that I hope for you, my readers is that his music will never be forever gone. his music is life, and this much I can tell you...I'm really sure.

Catch Spurgie Hankins and friends at the Empty Glass Tuesdays at 10 pm.
Support Live Music today, tomorrow and always.

4 Comments:

Blogger libco said...

Nicely done Charlie Tee!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Hi, Charlie T!



Will here, in a nice bit of fortuitous synchronicity: I've had a "lazy rain Saturday" during which I've made the most of it, I'm thinkin', having kept the wind and rain at bay (amidst iffy electricity, mind you) having listened to a bunch of Charleston folks (including the Ants, be sure...got "Ants in [My] Pants, lol), and Julie Adams and Bob and, yes, Spurgie. As ever!

Meanwhile, this post is the "anti-Libby" post; where she was to the point, I prefer to tell a short story long...or just ramble. <>

How nice to read and FEEL your heartfelt tribute to Spurgie. And, I suspect, others; I'll have to check out all your site and its tributes! To think such is out there is so cool. To think that so many people may never read it is anathema! I, too, have had the pure blessing of playing with Spurgie--and Kevin, before and after--heck, "inflicting myself upon him, at times!). Rarely has there been a more gracious "let's let it happen" kinda host, eh(?) Well, except when you and Michael and Co. have tolerated me and my lazy drunken horn, lol.

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to offer thanks to you both/all. In one fell swoop!

Gimme a shoutback, mebbe. And my best wishes to Jupe, cool? (Yeah, I can Jupie Jive...just don't tell anyone, K? I do look so silly...

Meanwhile, I agree with Lib: "So nicely done," Charlie. Real. It captures in print the feeling one gets when sharing a musical space and sensibility with Spurgie. Until you described it, I might have called it indescribable.

Well, (fake, melodramtic sigh) I guess it's back to the sheer toil of listening to the well-crafted music...poor me, hmmm? Lol. Tell Michael I said hello, wilya? I'd be more private/less public if I had more direct contact info. But, hey, least I didn't have to join Facebook just to say "Hi."

Email me back through google, if you like--as I surely would.

Thanks, too, upon reflection, for either more than you know--or, rather, let's say "for all you ken." I'm not entirely convinced that there IS much you don't get. Maybe "Hello, Kitty!" products. Worked hard for that one. (Hah! Bet you don't get THAT! Lol.)

Peace, Love, and, ever

Respectfully,

Will

P.S. Speaking of--not TOO much of a stretch of supposed "synchronicity, one hopes--I made some Babaghanoush not too long ago...which--you may recall, I surely do!--I first tasted when you brought some of your love-in-a-dish to all of us in Libby's back yard ~20 years ago. Man, I remember it well, because you didn't just give me a recipe; you spoke well of the myriad ways effectively to make it. Make it WELL! Well, is there any "bad" babaghanoush? Lol! Hard to go wrong with eggplant and garlic, eh? Mebbe a little virgin olive oil along with the tahini and parsley...the eggplant does SO love to play "the sponge.") A kudos to you, and all blessings upon you and yours, insh'Allah. Meanwhile, back to other famous Charleston-native talents, like Beethoven, maybe some Queen. Perhaps some Miles and/or Freddie Hubbard, then some Nat, mebbe--gotta have some!-- Etta James...you know: all the Charleston Greats, lol. And more Ants! And Spurgie Hankins, ever always! Peace, mon ami. I wish that upon you because you've given it so much to me, often, one suspects, without your even knowing it. Sitting at home on an otherwise gray day, determined not to feel down; churning the pedals, biking determinedly along the sunny river; with the in-ear monitors in bed at night, coming down from a really good but exhausting day; cavorting in the kitchen with a pretty girl. turning her on to you guys while whippin' out, together, a "foodlove" brunch...Wow...

9:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0619
jazz jerseys
isabel marant shoes
salomon shoes
coach outlet
canada goose jackets
nike air max 90
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren polo shirts
merrell shoes

10:13 PM  
Anonymous fabric sourcing agent said...

One of the joys in my life were the years that I spent playing in that band and getting to hear, and see first hand every week Spurgie use his music to heal and empower us. fully stitched salwar suits wholesale , pakistani suits wholesale ,

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home